Saturday, June 26, 2010

Just Another Lazy Weekend

June Considine lives in Malahide, Co Dublin and is equally well-known as a writer of fiction for both adults and children. Her last two novels, The Prodigal Sister and Stolen Child were written under her pseudonym, Laura Elliot. She is married to Sean and they have a grown-up family of three, Tony, Ciara and Michelle.



Q1 Do weekends find you at the coalface or drawbridge up?

It depends. If I'm battling with a deadline, as I was last year when I was working on Stolen Child, I wrote most weekend mornings. No phone calls or emails to interrupt – but, ideally, I prefer to relax at weekends.



Q2 If you can do you grab a lie-in

I'm an early riser. I love listening to radio and will tackle any chore, no matter how tedious, once I have my earphones in my ears. But if I'm engrossed in a good book, I'm happy to snuggle under the duvet and enjoy breakfast in bed.



Q3 What do you remember most about weekends as a child?

My father spent his working life at sea and the weekends with his family were special. I was a reluctant scholar and being off school was pure bliss. I remember the exquisite relief of confession on Saturday evenings, the belief that my soul was a shining, white disc and, with any luck, would remain so until at least the following morning. Then there was the restful silence of Sunday afternoons, gone now since Sunday in Dublin is just another shopping day.



Q4 If you could do anything you wanted this weekend, what would it be?

Spend it with friends on a barge exploring the Shannon waterways, stopping off at out-of the way pubs and restaurants.



Q5 If you could buy anything at all this weekend, what would it be?

A size twelve dress. I've just returned from a fortnight's holiday in Peñíscola, a beautiful Spanish seaport with wonderful restaurants. Unfortunately, the results are showing on my weighing scales.



Q6 At weekends, do you eat out or do you rustle up something yourself?

I enjoy cooking and always make a special effort on Sunday evenings. That's usually dinner for two, unless I organise a family get together, which can range from a group of ten to over twenty if I include my siblings and their families. Once I've time on my side, I'm happy trying out new recipes in the kitchen.



Q7 A night at the flicks or a DVD?

Saturday night for the cinema. I've just been to see The Lovely Bones. I adored the book, which has one of the most gripping opening sentences I've ever read. I was interested to see how it transformed into a film and I particularly enjoyed Soirse Ronan's performance as Susie Salmon. Sunday belongs to the DVD. I'm currently making my way through The Tudors box set. Who cares if Jonathan Rhys Meyers hasn't got a ginger beard or packing a massive belly, I've quite lost my head to history.



Q8 If you had time to read a book this weekend, what would it be?

The Help by Kathryn Stockett or One Day by David Nicholls. I've just finished both, loved them and intend reading them again.


Q9 Do you switch off your mobile and log out of your emails at weekends?

I leave on the mobile but ignore my emails.



Q10 Sunday morning - do you go to church?

No. But I love the tranquility that pervades empty churches of any domination and often enter them at no particular time or day to absorb that silence and peace.



Q11 Your perfect Sunday?

A walk along the coast of Malahide. Then breakfast in a little cafe called Provence, which is always packed and buzzing. A lazy afternoon with the newspapers or meeting friends in Howth for a few drinks beside the fire in the Abbey Tavern. It's one of the few pubs that still looks, feels, smells and remains a pub, rather than a carvery or a TV lounge.



Q12 And when do you start to get depressed at the thought of the week ahead?

I don't. I love writing and every week throws up different challenges and possibilities. I'm currently working on my next book so I'm at that delicate stage where running a marathon on nails or tackling the junk in the attic seems like a easier option than working my way into a new plot and new characters. But I know I'll get there if I keep working on it. When I want to arise on a weekend morning and switch on my computer, I'll know I've arrived at that stage.

Published Belfast Telegraph on 26 June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment